Monday, September 22, 2008

A Ditty of Sorts

Read Marlowe's Faustus last night and this morning. The result is this:

Poor Kit Marlowe
Dined with a spy;
Poor Kit Marlowe
Stabbed in the eye;
Poor Kit Marlowe
Made not a cry;
Poor Kit Marlowe
Time for you to die.

Pure doggerel, I know. But that is sort of the point. It totally trivializes a man's life and untimely death. It is also the polar opposite of Marlowe's line ("thunderous" I believe was Ben Johnson's term for it). I believe it has some sort of use as ironic commentary. If poetry is news that stays news, then here is news that became legend that becomes something I think kids could jump rope to. Not sure if this means anything or not; I don't have time to get into it at the moment.

Also, in looking over all these little entries I make, I understand that most are nothing more than bits and pieces of lost wholes. They are there I suppose as examples of how language is making meaning at the moment of some sort of incipient creation. Obviously not the stuff of canonical lit.

No comments: